So you’ve got your shiny new Bouclème products and you’re fine tuning the routine that’s best for you, but what’s your technique? There’s praying hands, Denman coiling, raking, the bowl method…getting to know all the different styling techniques for curly hair can seem overwhelming at first. That’s why we created this mini guide that breaks it all down, helping you personalise your wash day technique for curls that wow.
First things first, start your routine with the Hydrating Hair Cleanser. Wet your hair and massage the product through your scalp, soothing tension away with a mini massage. Rinse thoroughly and follow with Curl Conditioner. Our super hydrating formula was specifically created to replenish moisture without weighing down your freshly plumped up curls.
In the shower, divide your hair into sections and leave the conditioner in as you detangle with a wet brush from the ends up (to avoid knots and breakage). This helps all the beneficial ingredients soak into your cuticles, prepping your curly hair for styling. Curl Conditioner is a wonderfully versatile product that can be left in or rinsed out partially or fully depending on how thirsty your curls are.
Me time tip: don’t forget to take a mindful moment and enjoy the citrus scents of grapefruit and bergamot blended with uplifting rosemary and spearmint. All our products have their own uniquely formulated natural fragrances, which are made to put a spring in your step as well as in your curls.
Now here’s the bit you’ve been waiting for: styling. Experiment with the techniques below and play with what feels good for your hair. Remember, there’s no single “right” way, you may even come up with your own hybrid method. Let us know if you do, we’re all for doing it your own way.
Best for: Reducing frizz and stretching out your curls
Level of effort: Low
Try it for yourself:
- Rub your favourite Bouclème styler between the palms of your hands. Use our Curl Defining Gel for medium hold plus great shine or try Super Hold Styler for next level hold that keeps curly hair in place for longer. Can’t decide? Mix them together and create your own curl cocktail.
- Lock a section of your hair in between your palms and smooth the product down the length.
- Repeat until all sections are done. This will stretch your curls out, smooth cuticles down, and aid definition.
Best for: Creating curl clumps and achieving great definition
Level of effort: LowTry it for yourself:
- Divide your hair into sections (smaller sections = more definition and more volume).
- Apply Curl Cream (for moisture) or Curl Defining Gel (for definition) to your hands and rake them through your hair from root to end.
- Give a little shake to the selected section to ensure natural curl formation and then repeat until all your hair has been styled.
Denman coiling (brush coiling)
Best for: Creating uniform curls and enhancing your natural pattern
Level of effort: MediumTry it for yourself:
- Apply your favourite styler – we recommend Curl Defining Gel for medium but lasting hold.
- Working in sections, slide a Denman brush down the length of your hair, making sure the brush’s head is facing upwards.
- As you reach the end of the section, twist the brush downwards to release the hair.
- Give the curls a little scrunch and then repeat the process on remaining sections.
- Once your hair is fully dry, use Revive 5 Hair Oil to scrunch out the crunch without creating frizz and separate bigger clumps for a more natural look.
Best for: Creating curl clumps in fine, wavy and curly hair looking for weightless hydration - If you experience 'stringy curls' try this
Level of effort: HighTry it for yourself:
- On soaking wet hair, apply Curl Cream followed by Curl Defining Gel.
- Fill a bowl with warm water and dip your head into the water a few times, ensuring you turn your head each time and scrunching your curls after every dip. This will ensure even product distribution and will lock in all that good moisture.
- Plop with our Curl Towel to remove excess water and then proceed to drying.
Curls needing extra love? Reach out to our team at email@example.com with a picture of your hair and we’ll be happy to send tailored curly hair tips and styling recommendations.
Mastering these techniques already? Be sure to tag us on Instagram in your wash day routine – we can't wait to see the results!